Menu:

Latest news:

Oct, 2008:
-Some additions-
Statement of belief
Sermon Blog
Sermon updates

April, 2008:
What? Germany Summer Camp 2008

Download Flyer...
Download Application Form...

April, 2007:
Be encouraged to read the bible in one year

Download scheduler...

Sept 22, 2006:
Stream of Praise musical evangelistic meeting, Friday 7:30pm, Mansion House, Dawson street

Download poster...

June, 2006:
Sermon section updated

Sept 1, 2005:
New design and layout finished

Read more...

Other Resources:

- Publications
- Photo Albums
- Sermons
- Sermon Blog

 

Version: 1.0
 

 

History of CGCD

The Chinese Overseas Christian Mission | The Chinese Gospel Church Of Dublin

The establishment of the Chinese Gospel Church of Dublin was preceded by the establishment of the world-wide Chinese Overseas Christian Mission, which was formed back in the late 1940’s, and now serve to co-ordinate Chinese Churches and Chinese Christian Fellowships all over Europe and North America.

 

The Chinese Overseas Christian Mission (COCM)

The establishment of the Chinese Gospel Church of Dublin was preceded by the establishment of the world-wide Chinese Overseas Christian Mission, which was formed back in the late 1940’s, and now serve to co-ordinate Chinese Churches and Chinese Christian Fellowships all over Europe and North America.

In 1950, with the support of Bishop Frank Houghton of the China Inland Mission, Pastor Wang founded the Chinese Overseas Christian Mission. In January 1951, the Chinese Church in London was established and became the first Chinese church in Europe. Throughout the 1950’s and 1960’s, Pastor Wang traveled throughout Europe, visiting and ministering to the Chinese people scattered everywhere.

In 1971, Pastor Wang became ill with cancer, and after several major operations, finally passed away. Ms Mary Wang, a graduate of Alliance Bible Seminary in Hong Kong, became Pastor Wang’s successor as Director of the Mission to this day.

In 1990, the Chinese Overseas Christian Mission expanded their mission work towards North America by formally partnering the Massachusetts based Christian Mission to Chinese Inc., a similarly oriented mission organization working in the United Stated and Canada.

 

The Chinese Gospel Church Of Dublin (CGCD)

In 1980, a pioneering team from the Chinese Overseas Christian Mission traveled to Dublin in the Republic of Ireland, to visit the Chinese population there. At that time the Chinese population in Dublin was very small and very scattered. The majority were students studying at the various Dublin colleges and universities. Nevertheless, in 1981, a small group was formed meeting regularly, and they became formally known as the Dublin Chinese Christian Fellowship.

The work of the Dublin Chinese Christian Fellowship continued to develop throughout the 1980’s. By 1990, the Fellowship began to see the  limitations imposed by the fact that they do not have full and legal church registration. The decision came in 1991, and the Dublin Chinese Christian Fellowship formally became registered as a church, with the name changed to become the Chinese Gospel Church of Dublin. The church Constitution and Regulations were formally adopted in 1992, and registration as a Charitable Organization was also formally recognized by the Irish Revenue Commissioners in 1992. The first formal Ordination of Minister and Church Office Bearers took place in February 1993, and the formal establishment of the first Chinese church in Ireland was completed.

However, even though the Chinese Gospel Church of Dublin was formally established, the church were still holding all the various meetings and activities in houses and rented halls scattered all over the city of Dublin. By the beginning of 1994, the activities of the church were so expanded that the need for a centralized church building to co-ordinate and house all the activities became very apparent. A suitable building was subsequently located at 49 Middle Abbey Street, Dublin 1. The building was formally acquired in October 1994, and was formally opened, albeit partially, in October 1995.

Renovation of the church building has been taking place on a continual basis since then. Renovation work are undertaken as a joint effort between professional contractors, our own members, and mission teams from overseas churches. It is projected that the building will be completely renovated before the summer of 1999.